OPL #02-2017 Manager, Programming, Outreach & Community Engagement
Oshawa Public Libraries (OPL) is a large library system in the Greater Toronto Area serving its community through 4 dynamic branches. OPL offers a robust offering of in-house and outreach programs for all ages and has achieved success in engaging and developing community partnerships.
Reporting to the Director of Service Design & Delivery, you will lead a public service team in developing and delivering relevant programs that fulfil OPL’s strategic goals of literacy, technology and lifelong learning, connecting our community to the world of information and each other. Working closely with the Director, staff, and community partners you will develop and deliver dynamic programs and outreach events that reflect the needs of a growing and changing community.
- Represents OPL to external organizations with professionalism to ensure that the Library is well placed in the Community
- Strengthens existing community relationships and develops new strategic partnerships
- Identifies and develops appropriate opportunities for OPL’s participation in outreach initiatives
- Leads and manages programming and community engagement teams to develop, implement and evaluate programs and outreach for all ages
- Identifies and facilitates relevant staff training events in order to enhance staff capacity
- Supports the Director with evaluating staff and service delivery, seeking program efficiencies, researching special projects & writing reports while monitoring budget
- Facilitates student and volunteer management programs within the portfolio
- Master’s Degree in Library & Information Science and/ or equivalent & 3-5 years relevant experience
- Minimum 4 years’ experience managing, leading & coaching in a unionized workplace Demonstrated experience managing staff in a unionized environment
- Demonstrated experience in adult, teen & children’s programming, event planning & community engagement/partnerships
- Ability to embrace and positively lead change in a rapidly changing environment
- Possesses superior problem solving sills & demonstrates a solutions-oriented approach
- Demonstrated experience administering workplace policies, collective agreements & facilitating employee complaints & grievances
- Strong project management & strategic thinking abilities
- Strong digital literacy & technological skills
- Solid finance & budgeting skills
- Experience with restructuring and reorganizing departments
- Ability to work independently & collaboratively
- Demonstrated creativity, innovation & research skills
- Demonstrated experience delivering departmental goals that support the Strategic Directions of the Library
- Excellent interpersonal, communication & presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism, & diplomacy even when challenged
- Drivers’ license required
- Will be required to work evenings & weekends as needed
- A Criminal Record Check satisfactory to the employer is required
Interested applicants are requested to submit a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job # OPL 02-2017. Only applicants who meet the required qualifications will be interviewed. This position will be located at the McLaughlin Branch at 65 Bagot Street, Oshawa.
The Oshawa Public Libraries is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code. The Oshawa Public Libraries will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The Oshawa Public Library hires students for part-time work on evenings and weekends. If you are an interested student, please complete the Student Page Application Form or email your résumé to email@example.com.
Student résumés are kept on file for six months from the date received.
City of Oshawa Employment Opportunities
Click here to apply online for employment opportunities with the City of Oshawa. These applications will be dealt with by the City. For employment opportunities at Oshawa Public Libraries, please see above.