Beyond the Walls
Beyond the Walls is a virtual public lecture series organized by the Faculty of Social Science and Humanities in collaboration with Oshawa Public Libraries. Engage with others through live, interactive discussions on local and global topics, guided by a short expert talk.
Mapping Transnational Environmental Crime
This talk will present Dr. Delon Omrow's postdoctoral research on the intersections between transnational environmental crime, human security, and biosecurity. He is currently working on a global environmental crime database which embeds the principles of UDL to enrich the learning experiences of all students at Ontario Tech University. The database will feature environmental legislation from each country in the world, along with case studies of how environmental crime impacts human security and biosecurity.
Monday / September 20 / 7-8 pm
Dr. Delon Omrow is a postdoctoral fellow in the Faculty of Social Science and Humanities at Ontario Tech University. Delon’s specialization is the nexus between transnational environmental crime, human security and biosecurity. His PhD explored how cognitive injustice leads to both social and environmental injustice through neoliberal conservation programs in South America.
Pedagogically, Delon uses the tenets of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Inclusive Design. Having experienced his own situational barriers, Delon recognized the theoretical and pragmatic merit of UDL, applying these principles in his own work and teaching philosophies as a teaching assistant, course director and sessional instructor. Inevitably, UDL became the cornerstone of his doctoral studies and his subsequent research.
Adam Rodrigues completed his Honours Bachelor of Arts at York University, where he studied Criminology. Adam is currently pursuing his Master's degree in Criminology at Ontario Tech, with hopes of further progressing to gain his Ph.D. Adam is interested in researching both green and corporate crimes. Adam is currently working with Dr. Delon Omrow & Dr. Peter Stoett to develop an international database centred on environmental crimes and the policies surrounding them. He is currently looking into the links between transnational green crimes and human trafficking in Africa.
One Does Not Simply Stop Using: The Importance of Withdrawal in Discussion of Addiction Treatment and Harm Reduction
With William Denomme (M.Sc.)
Monday / October 4 / 7-8 pm
Picture This: Image Reuse and Sleuthing
Learn about the importance of copyright when reusing images, and how to find royalty free and openly licensed images for content creation. Discover out how to do a reverse image to locate the original image source, identify an object in a image or find similar images.
Monday / October 18 / 7-8 pm
Chelsie is the librarian for the Faculty of Social Science and Humanities and the Faculty of Education at Ontario Tech. She answers copyright questions at Ontario Tech and is a member of the Ontario Tech Copyright Committee. You can find Chelsie at the Social Science, Humanities and Education Library in downtown Oshawa.
Identifying Tactics of Power and Control that Bullies Use in the Workplace
With Dr. Hannah Scott
Monday / November 15 / 7-8 pm
To be determined
Monday / November 29 / 7-8 pm
Advertising in the Age of Industrialization
With Amanda Robinson (M.A.), Academic Associate
Monday / December 13 / 7-8 pm
- Hollywood Magic and Military PR: View it here
- Why Everybody Can't Get Stoned: View it here
- Advertising in the Age of Industrialization: View it here
- The Latest Buzzwords: Indigenization, Reconciliation, Decolonization: View it here
- Gardening with Crime Prevention in Mind: View it here
- The COVID-19 Long Term Care Crisis: View it here
- Supervised Consumption Facilities, Safer Supply, and Decriminalization:
What Can We Learn from Abroad?: View it here
- Hallmark Movies and the Canadian Film Industry: View it here
- Biodiversity and Us: The Emerging Extinction Event of the 2020s: View it here
- All Water is Sacred: Indigenous Creation Story: View it here
- Defining the Constitutional Limits to Governing Badly: View it here!
- Gendering Hate Groups: Misogyny in the Extremist Right Wing: View it here!
- The Alien Epistemological Crisis: View it here!
- Rocking the System: Why I Don’t Give Grades in University Classes: View it here!
- Crime, Punishment, and Video Games: Key Current and Future Issues: View it here!