Beyond the Walls
Beyond the Walls is a virtual public lecture series organized by the Faculty of Social Science and Humanities in collaboration with Oshawa Public Libraries. Engage with others through live, interactive discussions on local and global topics, guided by a short expert talk.
Rocking the System: Why I Don’t Give Grades in University Classes
Our education system most often measures a student’s success by means of exams, tests, quizzes, and/or graded work. Students are eager to see what they “got” on a test or assignment – is it cheers (an A!) or tears (a C!)? But what if both faculty and students focused more on learning and less on grades? What if the process of learning was more important than the result of a letter or number? Come join Dr. Sharon Lauricella, Associate Professor at Ontario Tech, for this interactive session and find out what happened when she ditched grades in her university courses.
Missed the April 12 program? Watch it here!
Sharon Lauricella is a Communication scholar and Associate Professor in the Faculty of Social Science and Humanities at Ontario Tech University in Oshawa, Ontario. She holds a doctoral degree from the University of Cambridge (UK), and a BA from Wheaton College (Massachusetts). Sharon's research focuses on digital feminist identities and mental health of undergraduate students.
Crime, Punishment, and Video Games: Key Current and Future Issues
This talk will explore a range of issues related to video games, crime, and criminal justice, including how games represent crime and punishment, how they serve as platforms through which old and newly emerging deviant and criminal behaviours occur and are managed, and how emerging gaming technologies and ecosystems may transform crime and deviance in the future.
Missed the April 26 program? Watch it here!
Steven Downing is an associate professor at Ontario Tech University. His research explores on- and offline subcultures surrounding deviant and criminal behaviors and informal social control mechanisms. He has published works in this area on issues including digital piracy, theft and violence in virtual worlds, and representations of prison-life in video games.
- Hollywood Magic and Military PR: View it here
- Why Everybody Can't Get Stoned: View it here
- Advertising in the Age of Industrialization: View it here
- The Latest Buzzwords: Indigenization, Reconciliation, Decolonization: View it here
- Gardening with Crime Prevention in Mind: View it here
- The COVID-19 Long Term Care Crisis: View it here
- Supervised Consumption Facilities, Safer Supply, and Decriminalization:
What Can We Learn from Abroad?: View it here
- Hallmark Movies and the Canadian Film Industry: View it here
- Biodiversity and Us: The Emerging Extinction Event of the 2020s: View it here
- All Water is Sacred: Indigenous Creation Story: View it here
- Defining the Constitutional Limits to Governing Badly: View it here!
- Gendering Hate Groups: Misogyny in the Extremist Right Wing: View it here!
- The Alien Epistemological Crisis: View it here!